About This Course
Welcome to the Beverageintelligence Wine101 course. Allister will be your guide for this course.
Wine can be a complicated subject. There are lots of “bully words” like “malolactic fermentation” and “carbonic maceration”. However, at Beverageintelligence, we believe the subject can be simplified and enjoyable. This course is going to be focusing on demystifying the subject of wine. We’re going to focus on two major outcomes.
With the first outcome we will focus on understanding where flavour comes from in wine.
If you look at the back of a label, all these flavours that are there. We are going to unpack where those flavours and aromas come from.
Secondly, we are going to focus on how to suggest these wines to your guests and how to provide your guests with excellent service.
The Wine101 Online Course has been designed to be user-friendly allowing you, the student, to easily track your progress using the Progress tab while completing the course. In each section you will find captivating videos, in-depth topic notes, as well as a fun and challenging Test Your Knowledge quiz. If you want to dig deeper into the amazing world of wine don’t hesitate to click on the link we added to the notes for some amazing extra information on each topic.
The Discussion Forum provides a platform where you can interact with the Wine101 Course Tutor as well as fellow students currently completing the course. Scenarios based questions will be asked by your tutor on the Discussion Forum. These discussions are designed to give you the opportunity to master the art of recommending wines. You will be able to discuss the various wine service topics on this forum with fellow students, and share ideas and sales techniques with each other.
It's recommended that you print out the Wine101 Printable Notes before beginning the course. These notes can be found on the Wine101 Online Course Contents page under the heading Course Handouts (which is located on the right hand side of the screen).
Once you've completed all nine sections (including the Test Your Knowledge quizzes) of the Wine101 Online Course you will write The Ultimate Test Your Knowledge quiz. The course pass rate is a minimum of 70%. The Test Your Knowledge quizzes make up 60% of your final mark while The Ultimate Test Your Knowledge quiz makes up the other 40% of your final mark for the Wine101 Online Course.
So at the end of this course you are going to be informed, empowered, and be able to deliver the ultimate service to your guests.
Let’s get started!
Allister is the CEO and founder of Under the Influence and an experienced member of the Beverageintelligence training team, having educated staff in over 250 lodge and hotel properties across the continent. He loves wines from Elgin and the right bank of Bordeaux.
Allister is passionate about building confidence and drinks skills among learners on the African continent.
Chad heads up the Customer Success mission in the business and is super passionate about delivering great service and loads of value to customers. He loves being on the ground with customers, working side by side with their teams to craft the most beautiful beverage offering and journey through the wonderful world of Beverageintelligence education and training. As the remarkable Nelson Mandela said: "Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Chad loves discovering new and wonderful wines from both South Africa and further afield, and has a soft spot for a perfectly oaked Chardonnay. Delicious!
Richard is the Course Curator for the Beverageintelligence Wine101 WOSA course. He is passionate about sharing his wine knowledge to others by creating online education tools. Richard’s happy place is the kitchen where he likes to be creative and prepare great meals to share with friends and family. He has been introduced in the world of wine by his father and like him has strong preference for wine from the Graves Appellation of Bordeaux.
When he is not thinking “cooking” and “wine”, Richard’s thinks “swimming”, “trail running” and “mountain biking”. He loves to discover the great outdoors of South Africa on his bike or by foot.